Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
- Business & Industry
- Alumni, Friends & Supporters
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
BUILT2SPEC brings together a new and breakthrough set of technological advances for self-inspection and quality assurance that will be put into the hands of construction stakeholders to help meeting EU energy efficiency targets, new build standards, and related policy ambitions. Built2Spec will expand upon a cloud based construction support platform, conceived following the most advanced integrated design and delivery framework for the building sector and hosting applications that facilitate worksite activities and quality compliance by putting knowledge in hands of contractors. This will be achieved in the form of shared design specifications and 3D models, installation guidelines, information on regulatory frameworks, and help from construction experts on smartphones and tablets.
The Built2Spec platform will be integrated into the operations of small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) contractors, large construction firms, and end user clients directly within the consortium and work program activities, assuring systematic and scientific performance measures, feedback and powerful exploitation and dissemination strategies.
NUI Galway are leading Work Package (WP) 4 that investigates ’Smart Materials, Imagery Techniques and Building Information Modelling (BIM) as Inspection and Quality Multipliers’.
The objectives of WP 4 are:
- To develop a methodology for the use of sensor-embedded construction elements for continuous self-inspection and quality checks, utilising numerical modelling (CFD) and real-time measurements in buildings;
- To design, prototype and test sensor embedded precast concrete construction elements, and link them to models that predict performance and enable continuous product life cycle quality checks;
- To develop an innovative system for embedding sensors in building elements, collecting information from the sensors (environmental, structural, RFID) and presenting relevant information in a user-friendly, accessible manner to engineers, building managers, contractors and other stakeholders;
- To leverage work within the Google-driven “Tango” project and 3D scan capture IP at ETH to make possible 3D scanning on mobile devices for the support of construction processes and checks;
- To leverage imagery comparison techniques for the self-inspection and quality check of construction worksites (plan area) and building elements as constructed via UAV or helicopter drone imagery;
- To make BIM technologically ready for self-inspection and quality checks;
- To bring BIM to the construction worksite.
Be up to date with the Built2Spec topics: http://flip.it/UED1J